In 2021, the volume of the global smartwatch market grew by 23.8% (compared to 2020). Analysts from Counterpoint Research believe that there will also be growth in Europe and North America in 2022. More and more people are realizing the benefits of smartwatches. They are bought by adults (as a smarter analogue of an electronic bracelet), pensioners (for health control) and even children. About why the latter need such a gadget and how to choose a children’s smart watch, they told in this article.
Why does a child need a smart smart watch
Important: the set of options is different in different models. For example, in some, communication is possible only through wiretapping. In others, through video calls. In this paragraph, we describe the options that are available in different models. The exact set of features must be specified when purchasing the model of interest.
This gadget is needed for:
- connection with the child. Smart watches can be an alternative to a smartphone. Such models have a slot for SIM-cards, a mobile communication module and a “White List” of contact numbers. Only those numbers included in this list can call the device. The gadget will reject other calls. Calls can be audio and video;
- listening. This is an opportunity to quietly connect to the gadget and listen to what is happening around the child;
- location determination. This is possible thanks to the GPS receiver (global navigation) and / or the LBS module (using cell towers). It is better that both modules are built in. The result will be more accurate;
- sending an SOS signal. The child presses the button, and a message is sent to the parent number that help is urgently needed;
– determining the pulse, counting the number of steps taken. These functions will be needed if you need to monitor the health of the child. For example, when it is important to collect statistics about heart rhythms.
At what age can a child be given such a gadget
It is impossible to say the exact age. Since there are no official texts and unbiased statistics. But psychologists do not recommend using any gadgets under 3 years old.
In addition, it is important to evaluate:
- the level of development of the child. For example, can he use the functions of the device (consciously press the SOS button, see the time);
- behavior and habits. There are children who tear off their bracelets, watches, earrings, they can throw out what they don’t like. For example, when they do not yet understand the price of things;
- Is there a real need for a gadget. For example, a child under 3 years old who does not go to kindergarten and spends all the time with his parents. In this case, there is no need to track its location;
- the desire of the child. If he does not want to wear the device at all, he will either act up or try to take it off.
You can definitely buy a smart watch for a schoolboy. Especially if he is in primary school, he gets to school. But do you need such a gadget up to 6–7 years? It all depends on the points above.
How to choose the best smart watch for your child
It can be black and white (E‑ink) or color (AMOLED, LSD). The first ones are suitable for reading text, they are very energy intensive. But there are fewer such models on the market. Even the cheapest models (for example, Prolike PLSW523OR) already have a color screen. It attracts attention more easily due to its colorfulness, pictures, inscriptions, etc. are better visible on it. LSD displays are dimmer, AMOLED are brighter.
Smart watch display diagonal ranges from 0.5 to 2 inches. It is better to choose the size by attaching the watch to the child’s hand. The screen should not protrude much, be wider than the wrist. Otherwise, he will cling to clothes, objects. As a result, the child is uncomfortable and there is a high risk of damaging the gadget.
The body can be made of metal or plastic. The lightest are plastic. The aluminum case is heavier, but more durable.
Glass can be plastic or mineral. The first is lighter and cheaper. With careful use, it will last a long time. The mineral counterpart is more expensive, but more scratch resistant.
How to choose the right material? Determine what is more important: weight, price or impact resistance of the model.
An important parameter. The more the gadget can work on a single charge, the better. After all, a child may forget to charge it before school or stay overnight with a friend (without charging). It is optimal to choose models that can work from 2 days on a single charge.
There are many options for modern children’s smart watches. If you do not want to overpay, it is better to choose opportunities according to age and needs.
Basic functions that most watches have: incoming calls, SOS button, location detection, wiretapping.
Additional: zone selection (home, school, etc.), camera, handheld sensor, games, flashlight, picture gallery, watch calls, activity tracking, heart rate detection, GPS navigator.
Most of the additional features are useful and interesting for a student, not a kindergarten student. For example, activity and heart rate tracking are important for an athlete.
Children are games in the sand, careless waving of hands, falls, spilled water and other dangers that await gadgets. The aluminum case and mineral glass can protect against scratches and impacts. But from the ingress of sand, dust, splashes and even falling into the water — the level of protection is IP67 and higher. If the child is engaged in swimming, it is better to choose a watch with IP68 protection and above.
Top 3 Best Smartwatches for Kids 2022
The first model in our top smart watch for kids. This is a bright gadget with an attractive design. The model is available in pink, blue, lilac. At the time of this writing, the price is 3,230 rubles.
- protection level IP67. This means that the case is hermetically sealed. It is protected from dust and debris. Also, for a few minutes, the watch can be lowered into water (to a depth of not more than 1 meter). The device will also withstand rain splashes;
- there are several games, an alarm clock, a call function (you can call both on the clock and from them), the SOS button, recording the history of movements;
- there is a camera and a photo gallery, you can take a selfie.
Another model of smart watches with IP67 water and dust resistance level. Other advantages:
- you can receive calls and make them (to authorized numbers), send an SOS signal;
- there is a built-in camera — through it you can make video calls or take photos for memory. They are saved in the Gallery. The camera can be controlled from a distance. For example, parents can turn it on remotely to view the surroundings;
- bright design — there are options for straps of yellow, pink, green and other colors;
- silicone strap. It does not mold, does not cause allergic irritation;
- On one charge they work up to 4 days.
The price at the time of this writing is from 4,000 rubles.
HUAWEI WATCH KIDS 4 Pro
Huawei watch smartwatch is the best model in our rating. The price at the time of writing is 10,000 rubles. For this amount you get:
- stable signal. The company uses its own algorithm, which improves the stability of the connection;
- video calls in HD quality through a special application HUAWEI MeeTime;
- the ability to track the movement of the child in real time;
- safe device. TÜV Rheinland certified. It confirms the water resistance of the gadget, the safety of the materials from which it is made;
- personal assistant. The watch tracks the duration of exposure to the sun, the type of sports activity. Gives recommendations (for example, on changing activities);
- special mode “Swimming training”. The watch has a moisture protection level of 5 ATM (you can dive 50 meters under water). And the smart mode recognizes the swimming style, the number of strokes, the duration of the workout, and gives useful recommendations.
We hope that our guide and review of smart watches will help you choose the best gadget for your child.