A microscope is an apparatus for studying small objects. It magnifies the images of objects many times, so that even details hidden from the naked eye can be seen.
Usually the microscope is used in laboratories, medical institutions, universities and schools. For training and experiments, the device can be bought home. This will allow the child to visually explore the world and deepen knowledge.
Which microscope is better to choose for a student, we tell in this material. We highlighted the most important characteristics and collected the top of the best devices.
How to choose a microscope for a student
When it comes to buying a microscope, there are several things to consider.
This is the main thing to look at when buying. There is a misconception — the more the better. But the child does not need to conduct serious experiments, which require a magnification of thousands of times. Which means you don’t have to pay extra for it.
For simple experiments, soldering parts and school laboratory work, a device that magnifies 400–800 times is enough.
Visual attachment — eyepiece
There may be several pieces: three, two, one. The monocular is the simplest apparatus. You can view the studied objects with one eye. Suitable for short term research.
The variant with two visual nozzles is suitable for long-term work:
- do not have to strain and close one eye;
- more pleasing stereo image.
A microscope with three eyepieces is a good solution if you need to capture your research in photo/video. Or, for example, display a picture on the monitor. The third eyepiece is used to connect to the camera. Such models are much more expensive than the previous two.
It can be upper, lower, combined. The top is needed to work with opaque objects. For example, a coin. And with transparent — for example, liquids — you can work by turning on the lower backlight.
The combined version is the best. It allows you to explore both transparent and opaque objects.
It is precise and rough. Allows you to focus on the desired area.
Rough is relevant for amateur models. It will be enough to evaluate school samples several times a year.
But precise focusing is more common in professional microscopes for research. It is better to pay attention to such when the child is seriously interested in science.
And now let’s move on to the rating of the best children’s microscopes. All prices are valid at the time of writing.
Levenhuk LabZZ M101
A good budget microscope for 3,870 rubles. The case is plastic, bright, looks very stylish. An excellent solution for a younger student who decided to study the world around him.
The model has:
- 3 interchangeable magnifiers;
- illumination only from below. Therefore, the apparatus is used to study transparent samples;
- The set includes a kit for conducting experiments.
What can be seen: fibers and cells of objects.
An unusual gadget for 7,751 rubles. This is a portable USB microscope. It is equipped with a camera, LED lighting built into the “handle”. The device must be connected to a computer.
“Pen” must be brought to the object of study. The picture will immediately appear on the screen. The device works through a special program — MicroCapture. It is included in the kit. Recorded exam video can be saved. You can also take a photo. The program can measure the size, perimeter, diameter of an object.
What can be seen: structure of insects, features of stones, bark, leaves, coins.
Levenhuk 7S NG
Monocular model from a well-known brand for 10,467 rubles. Included are achromatic lenses that neutralize possible color distortion and show a sharp picture. There is coarse and fine focusing. You can adjust the picture so that it becomes as clear as possible.
- maximum magnification — 800;
- The backlight is not LED, but classic. The illuminator is a mirror, located under the object table. The task of the researcher is to take a table lamp, direct light through a special Abbe condenser and illuminate the object under study.
What can be seen: structure of unicellular organisms and cells.
Levenhuk Rainbow 50L Plus
Option for 16,481 rubles. Advantages:
- top and bottom lighting. Can be turned on at the same time. Suitable for the analysis of objects of different transparency;
- the picture is clear, detailed and sharp due to the anti-reflective composition on the glasses and high-quality optics;
- 3 lenses included. Magnification 64, 160, 640 times. Also included is a Barlow Lens that doubles the magnification;
- the machine itself is made of metal. It is difficult to damage even with constant use;
- you can rotate the eyepiece 360 degrees — you don’t have to rearrange the device if you need to show something to an adult or a friend;
- the kit has everything you need: manual, description of experiments, preparations, tools for work.
What can be seen: fibers, cells, ciliates.
Bresser National Geographic 20x
The next model in the ranking of the best microscopes for a student is 17,451 rubles. It is needed to work with opaque elements: stones, insects, coins, etc.
The Bresser National Geographic 20x Stereoscopic Microscope is not super magnified. But when working with opaque elements, it is not necessary.
- no backlight. Studies should be carried out in bright natural or artificial light;
- The eyepiece rotates 360 degrees. This is convenient if several children work with the device. No need to transfer the device. It is enough to turn the eyepiece;
- metal case — durable, suitable for frequent use.
What can be seen: the structure of minerals, coins, the structure of insects.
Bresser Junior Biolux SEL 40–1600x
Model from a popular German brand for 26,181 rubles. It is suitable for study, regular use.
- LED lighting, top and bottom. You can work with samples with different transparency. The microscope does not have to be connected to the mains, batteries are enough;
- complete set, which includes everything you need to analyze the samples;
- There is a phone adapter. Through it, you can connect the gadget to the microscope and take a photo or video of your experiments;
- You can magnify an object from 40 to 1600 times.
What can be seen: ciliates, cells, plant fibers.
one. Levenhuk Rainbow 50L Plus - a device with a combined LED backlight. Useful for studying samples of any transparency.
2. Levenhuk 7S NG — model with excellent optics. The image is clear and sharp. Illumination is classical, with the help of a mirror.
3. Bresser Junior Biolux SEL 40–1600x - one of the best microscopes for a student. Can be used to study samples of any transparency. The set includes an adapter. It is needed to record research on a smartphone.
four. Levenhuk LabZZ M101 - the best budget children’s microscope. But only transparent objects can be considered in it.
5. Bresser National Geographic 20x — a simple model without illumination. Needed for the analysis of stones and other opaque objects.
6. Levenhuk DTX50 — digital instrument. You can take it with you on a trip. The main thing is to have a laptop to which you need to connect the device.