In November-December, photo studios have a hot pre-New Year season — bookings for halls even for several weeks in advance are closed in a matter of days. It is difficult to find studios where a Christmas tree has not been put up in almost every room by these months. It sounds perfect: here’s New Year’s Eve for you, and here’s a Christmas tree with a garland. Book, take photos, enjoy life. But there are many problems: all the scenery is so similar to each other that you can choose the hall even blindly; few empty seats; You cannot bring a studio to a corporate party, a holiday for children, to your home or to the street.
We tell you what photo backgrounds for New Year’s shooting exist and give ideas on how to stylize and make an atmospheric winter photo shoot without leaving the room.
Solid photo backgrounds for a New Year’s photo shoot and ideas for them
Chromakey is a green background and a technology when two images are combined at the same time.
Two options for using a green background for winter photography:
— Photoshoot in the “signature” colors of the New Year and Christmas. We add red accessories that contrast with the background: Santa Claus hats, striped socks, scarves, sweaters with reindeer and other winter attributes. You can add dark spruce branches, branches of red mistletoe. A good option for a group portrait, when a similar color scheme and common elements of clothing emphasize unity. By the way, catch more life hacks on shooting a group portrait.
— Shooting with subsequent post-processing. Chromakey allows you to quickly cut out models and place them on any other background. Plus, there are endless possibilities for creativity, when the imagination is not limited by anything. At least add polar bears, at least Santa Claus. About four ways to cut out the background, this text.
There are folding chromakeys, which, due to the design, definitely won’t wrinkle, but it’s more difficult to transport — such a backdrop weighs 7 kg. The second option is a fabric chroma key, which is enough to roll up and throw into a backpack, like a regular rag. But be prepared to iron it.
If a green background seems inappropriate — for example, you have a themed photo shoot and a model in a Grinch suit (that is, in green), go from the opposite and spend a New Year’s shoot on a red background, placing green accents with clothes and accessories.
1. Play with contrasts with a bold look and accessories. Clothing with sequins, sequins, butterflies with a themed print, colored socks with snowmen, crackers, glasses in the form of Christmas trees, tinsel, New Year’s caps are suitable. This is a good “party” and corporate option. In addition, the white background is universal and will definitely come in handy in the future.
2. With the help of decorations and additional attributes, go into a fantasy bias. By using a snow-white background, create a feeling of coldness, as if only a snowy blizzard is behind the model. This is an option for creative experimental customers, an unusual winter children’s photo shoot.
Here are some ideas for a creative New Year’s photo shoot on a white background:
- Create a semblance of snowdrifts from pharmacy cotton. Add a snow-covered Christmas tree to enhance the effect of a winter forest — many stores sell artificial Christmas trees with a white coating. Eco-friendly and then you can put it at home.
- Rent an animal for shooting. For example, a white or black rabbit, a fox.
- Artificial snow. An option for those who are not afraid that after shooting they will have to wash and wash things. You can cover them with clothes, faces of models. Create the feeling that you just came after the bitter cold.
- Take a picture of the model supposedly through the thickness of the ice. To do this, you need glass and a spray that imitates frost. If you cover glass with it, add artificial snow and ask assistants to hold it, you get the effect as if you are shooting through ice, and the white background will create the feeling that there is only an endless cold wasteland behind.
- Add color to your images. For example, bright blush, as if the model had just come out of the cold, or highlight the scene with color filters. For example, if you highlight the backdrop with blue, then the white background will turn into soft blue.
The black photo background is ideal for light experiments and just warm shots with an abundance of light in the frame. Such a background, combined with garlands, candles, sparklers, will give contrasting and versatile shots that both children and adults will like.
— Experiment with slow shutter speeds. With it, you can draw patterns, lines, snowflakes with sparklers, write “Happy New Year” or the number of the coming year.
— Make curly bokeh. It can be made bokeh in the form of Christmas trees, gifts, snowflakes, gingerbread men, polar bears, stars — everything that is enough for imagination. To do this, it is enough to place the same garland on a dark background and cut out a stencil for the lens. Similarly, we wrote about how to make curly bokeh here.
New Year’s photo backgrounds with a print
An option for corporate parties, parties, New Year’s gatherings, children’s tea parties. Suitable for group portraits, semi-reportage shooting, when a large flow of people passes through the photo zone. This is convenient for the photographer, especially if there is no time for experiments and individual work with each model. It’s also convenient for clients – you don’t have to overpay for scenery, and while the photographer is busy, you can take selfies with friends.
Against such backgrounds, selfies will look festive and atmospheric even without professional photo lighting, which cannot be said about chroma key, black or white backgrounds.
— Photophones thematic. Suitable for shooting children, family group portraits. For example, a children’s photo background with garlands and New Year’s decor in the form of an elk, luminous Christmas trees, a gingerbread man, as well as a background with a Christmas tree and toys. A fantasy version is a background with Santa flying through the sky on a reindeer sleigh. For the little ones, a cartoon-style background with snowmen is suitable. A family photophone with a Christmas tree and a cozy fireplace or an analogue with a Christmas tree and gifts. A more neutral and minimalistic option, which is also suitable for New Year’s corporate parties, is a wood-like background, festively decorated with spruce paws, cones and bells.
— Photophones with lights. They imitate garlands, add New Year’s comfort and warmth. Suitable for children’s and family shootings, as well as for group portraits at corporate parties, friendly photo shoots.
— Photophone with sparkles is a universal festive option. For corporate parties, older children or those who want a festive atmosphere, but are tired of the usual attributes like a Christmas tree and the obligatory green and red colors. Its advantage is the breadth of application — with such a background you can also photograph birthdays, make creative shootings in fashion style.
Additional equipment for photophones and New Year’s shooting
— Rack for backgrounds.
— Light is required for outdoor photography. In order not to drag several tens of kilograms, you can put ordinary flash units on racks. And here is a detailed guide on how to use and set up a camera flash.
— For flashes, so that they fire at the same time, you need a synchronizer. It is best to choose a radio synchronizer or IR. Another guide is about what kind of synchronizers are and how they differ.
— For family stories, you need soft diffused light. Lightweight in every sense and a budget option — photo umbrellas.
— Photo filters. They will allow you to highlight with color, toned a solid black or white background, or create colored backlights so that the model is in contrast to the background.
— You need a tripod for long exposures. For information on what to look for when buying a tripod, read this text.