An external microphone is required for high-quality sound recording. If you plan to record videos for YouTube or are already doing it and want to improve the quality of your content, you should consider buying an external microphone. Our rating of the best wired microphones will help you make a choice. It includes buttonholes and gun microphones, the best models in terms of price and quality.
You can read about what types of microphones exist here.
BOYA BY-M1 is the best budget lavalier microphone in 2021
BOYA BY-M1 is a universal model compatible with various devices (smartphones, camcorders, external recorders, etc.). This omnidirectional condenser microphone is suitable for bloggers, beginners and professional filmmakers and journalists. Due to the high sensitivity, it is not necessary to place the buttonhole next to the speaker’s face. For high-quality sound, you need to choose the right distance.
- excellent value for money — can be used both in a quiet and in a fairly noisy place;
- rich equipment — pop filter, clip, 3.5 mm to 6.3 mm adapter, case, LR44 battery;
- versatility — no additional software is required for operation, you can record in any program; many options for use — with a smartphone, laptop / computer / tablet, recorder, camera, etc.;
- foam pads protect against wind, interference and extraneous sounds;
- low price.
- too long cable (6 meters), in some usage scenarios (for example, with a smartphone) it will take a long time to wind up;
- there are reviews of problems connecting to a computer (it is best to connect to the back of a PC).
The cost of BOYA BY-M1 is from 1,590 rubles. This is the most budget model in our selection.
Rode VideoMic Pro Plus — the best on-camera microphone for recording videos on YouTube under 25,000 rubles
This Rode microphone is one of the best options in the price range for those who blog on YouTube or report on tik toks. This microphone provides high-quality clear sound.
- the sound is clear, natural, little noise. Good bottoms add volume to the sound;
- several power options — via USB, from the supplied battery or two AA batteries;
- ample opportunities — safety recording on the second channel, automatic on / off when connected / disconnected to the camera, two low-pass filter (LPF) options for noise suppression — 75 and 150 Hz, three sensitivity levels for different distances (-10, 0 and + 20 dB), high-frequency boost, clear indication;
- detachable cable.
- high price;
- non-removable Rycote Lyre vibration suspension (dampens vibrations and background noise).
Rode VideoMic Pro + costs from 23,900 rubles.
AKG Lyra (C44-USB) — USB microphone for games, streaming, podcasts
USB Desktop Microphone for PC (Skype/Zoom, Games, YouTube Videos, Streaming and Podcasts). This model supports 4 recording modes (front, front and rear, narrow and wide stereo) and is compatible with any OS (Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Android). Through a special adapter, you can connect to the camera. The built-in pop filter ensures noise-free sound transmission.
The indication is clear, the Mute button is there, as are the volume controls for the microphone and headphones.
- universal sound — high-quality, clear, suitable for recording interviews, streams, vocals and instruments;
- 4 operating modes: front — front recording (for streams); front and rear — for interviews; narrow stereo — for recording a conversation of 2–3 people or an instrument + vocals; wide stereo — for recording several instruments, communication of people not sitting nearby, etc.;
- useful features — 3.5 mm jack for direct monitoring, microphone and headphone volume control, convenient mode selection with clear indication, backlit Mute button.
- average build quality — partially plastic case and regulators, the latter have a slight backlash, there is a possibility of rapid wear;
- You cannot adjust the ratio between recording and background volume during direct monitoring.
The cost of AKG Lyra (C44-USB) is from 8,190 rubles.
Sennheiser MKE 400 is a good external microphone for YouTube
A distinctive feature is its compact size (weight is only 60 g) and good recording quality. This gun microphone is suitable for smartphone and cameras, connects via 3.5mm jack.
- natural, live sound without distortion, high-quality voice transmission and excellent noise rejection;
- useful features — low-pass filter, 3 sensitivity settings (default, ‑20 and +20 dB), headphone jack for direct monitoring and volume control;
- long battery life, replaceable batteries — powered by 2 AAA batteries, the charge of which is enough for approximately 100 hours of operation, low battery warning 3 hours before full discharge;
- small size and weight — even with a vibration suspension and wind protection built into the case, the microphone is lighter and more compact than most competitors;
- rich equipment — 2 cables (2 meters and spiral) for a smartphone and a camera, additional wind protection and a soft case.
- there are clicks when switching modes — it is worth considering during recording.
Sennheiser MKE 400 costs from 15,950 rubles.
Boya BY-DM2 is the best lavalier microphone for Android smartphones
This model is a variation of the BOYA BY-M1 for smartphones without a 3.5mm jack. This external lavalier microphone connects to your phone via USB Type‑C. Boya BY-DM2 costs more (5,290 rubles versus 1,590 rubles), but still belongs to the budget segment.
- sound quality for the price — the voice writes well, there is less noise than the BOYA BY-M1;
- USB‑C port — universal option for smartphones without a 3.5 mm jack (saves on buying an adapter);
- hard case included.
- long 6‑meter cable;
- not suitable for recorder and camera.
For iPhone owners, the BOYA BY-DM1 model is provided.