Smartphones have almost completely replaced amateur cameras. But so far, the video quality of small gadgets is inferior to full-fledged video cameras. For example, when shooting with a smartphone at dusk, noticeable noise and color distortion appear. Therefore, to record video, many prefer to buy special equipment. You can choose a model in any price range. We collected the top of the budget video cameras up to 25,000 rubles, which deserve attention.
What to look for when choosing
Canon Legria HF R86
What to look for when choosing
one. Maximum resolution. It depends on how high quality the video will be. It is advisable to buy equipment with this indicator equal to 1,920 × 1,080 pixels (Full HD) or 1,280 × 720 pixels (HD).
2. Frame frequency. The parameter indicates the number of frames that are taken in one period of time. It is optimal to choose from 30 frames per second (the higher the value, the better).
3. Optical zoom amount. This is an opportunity to zoom in on the part of the scene that is in the camera’s view. Typically, for non-professional cameras, this figure is usually 10–30.
four. Memory size. Not all budget models have built-in memory. The main thing is to be able to install a memory card from 32 GB. The more memory, the more clips you can shoot.
5. Battery capacity. This parameter affects the duration of the device on a single charge. The more capacious the battery, the longer the camera will work without recharging.
6. The weight. Subjective, but important parameter. You need to consider: who will shoot the video, how often. If this is a gadget for the whole family or shooting will be infrequent, then you can choose the standard option (250–350 g). And if the camera is bought for a teenager who will hold it in his hands all the time, then it is better to choose a lighter model.
Additionally, you should pay attention to the presence of:
- shooting functions in wide-angle mode. This is an opportunity to fit more objects into the frame. For example, this will be needed when shooting various events where there are a lot of people, you need to capture more participants in the frame;
- manual focus. Most modern cameras are equipped with autofocus. But there are people who like manual focus more, which is considered more accurate;
- photo mode — an optional but useful feature that turns the camera into a camera for a while;
- night shooting function — allows you to shoot high-quality video at night.
When buying, it is important to understand that a budget device will not shoot as well as a professional camera. If you plan to seriously engage in shooting, it is better to consider more expensive models.
But if you need a camcorder to record amateur videos, you can find a suitable option in this rating. Another idea is to look for a suitable option among action cameras. All prices in the top are valid at the time of writing.
Opens the rating of video cameras for shooting Panasonic HC-V160. It is inexpensive, compact (114x60x53 mm) and light (211 g). Suitable as a first video camera for adults and teenagers. Of all the budget models, there are several advantages:
- 38x optical zoom — useful when shooting from a distance;
- good recording quality (1920x1080 Full HD);
- there is a built-in image stabilizer — useful if you shoot “handheld”.
The only significant drawback is the small battery capacity (970 mAh). But you can buy spare batteries and change them if necessary.
Price — 13,950 rubles.
Canon Legria HF R86
The next in the top of inexpensive camcorders for shooting video is the Canon Legria HF R86. This is a compact model with a capacious battery (2760 mAh), which shoots video in good quality (1920x1080 Full HD). In addition to the battery capacity, it also differs from the previous model in the presence of built-in memory (16 GB). The camera has several shooting modes (slow, fast, with cinematic filters).
The downside is that there is no night mode. Because of this, in the absence of lighting or with insufficient lighting, the quality of the video will be poor.
The price is 20,480 rubles.
A model that occupies a well-deserved place in the top budget camcorders. It has a good optical zoom (40x), built-in memory (8 GB). Its main difference from other models in this top is a very capacious battery (3200 mAh). This is an excellent indicator in the price category. This capacity is enough for 3–5 hours of work.
Another feature of the camera is the presence of Quad-Proof protection. This means that the camera has protection against:
- splash and water rating IPX8 (can be fully submerged in water to a depth of more than 1 meter);
- shocks, scratches, falls from a height of up to 1.5 meters;
- cold (down to ‑10 degrees) — the camera will not turn off on the street at the first cold snap;
- dust according to the IP5X standard (this is partial protection, not complete tightness, but the amount of dust that will interfere with the operation of the device will not get into the case).
The price is 21,179 rubles.
In the ranking of the best camcorders, there must be a compact (128x60x54 mm), light (215 g) model with face recognition. Thanks to Smile Shutter technology, automatic face recognition is possible. But the user himself can manually select the focus object.
Advantages of Sony HDR-CX405:
- intelligent selection of the operating mode — the camera itself will choose the best option, taking into account the external environment (there are 90 available options);
- there is a built-in memory (8 GB), SD, SDHC, SDXC cards are supported;
- there is an optical stabilizer Optical Steady Shot — the image will be clearer, and shaking will be less noticeable;
- there is a wide-angle ZEISS Vario-Tessar lens — thanks to it you can shoot video in 720p, 1080p and 1080i;
- There is an HDMI output for syncing with your TV.
Price — 23,090 rubles.
Panasonic camcorder takes pride of place in the ranking of the best budget models. This compact device shoots good quality video (1920x1080 Full HD), is equipped with an image stabilizer (you can shoot video without shaking even “handheld”). There is a large display (2.7 inches), touch control.
An additional plus is the option to take pictures while shooting. Light weight (211 g), good optical zoom (50x) and a fairly powerful battery (1940 mAh) make this camera one of the best in our top.
Price — 23,335 rubles.
The largest and heaviest camera from our top (435 g). The main difference from other models from the rating is the frame rate. The rest have only one (50 or 60). In ORDRO AC5, the frequency ranges from 24 to 120 frames per second. The frequency depends on the selected shooting quality: 2880x2160 (24), 2560x1440 (30), 1920x1080 (60), 1080x720 (120), 640x480 (30). The maximum shooting resolution of the camera is 2880x2160.
- face detection and autofocus;
- auto white balance + manual adjustment;
- energy saving mode — automatic shutdown when idle (optional: after 3, 5, 10 minutes);
- support for memory cards up to 128 GB;
- can be used for streaming (connects to PC).
Price — 23 390 rubles.
Small (117x58x57 mm) and light (210 g) camera with 16 GB built-in memory. With it, you can shoot high quality video (Full HD 1080p). There are both automatic and manual focusing, exposure setting, white balance. Many shooting modes are available, for example: portrait, landscape, sunset, twilight, fireworks.
Price — 24,500 rubles.
We chose the key features of the described cameras, brought them together in one table.
|Model/Specification||Maximum shooting resolution||Frame rate (per second)||optical zoom||Memory (GB)||Battery capacity (mAh)||Weight (g)||Price (rubles)|
|Panasonic HC-V160||1920x1080||fifty||38x||No built-in. Supports SDHC and SDXC cards up to 64 Gb.||970||211||13 950|
|Canon Legria HF R86||1920x1080||fifty||32x||Built-in 16 GB. Supports SDHC and SDXC cards||2760||240||20 480|
|JVC GZ-RX645||1920x1080||fifty||40x||Built-in 8 GB. Supports SD, SDHC, SDXC cards.||3200||295||21 179|
|Sony HDR-CX405||1920x1080||60||30x||Supported microSDXC cards, max. up to 64 GB.||1240||215||23 090|
|Panasonic HC-V260||1920x1080||fifty||50s||Supports SD, SDHC, SDXC cards.||1940||211||23 335|
|ORDRO AC5||2880x2160||24–120||12x||SD cards supported, max. up to 128 GB.||1700||435||23 390|
|Sony HDR-PJ380E||1920x1080||fifty||30x||Built-in 16 GB. Memory cards supported MS, MS Pro, MS Pro HG, SD, SDHC, SDXC||1030||210||24 500|
The cameras from our top received the following ratings on a scale from 0 to 5:
|Model/Characteristic||Maximum shooting resolution||Frame frequency||optical zoom||Battery capacity (mAh)||Weight (g)||Price (rubles)||Outcome|
|Canon Legria HF R86||four||four||four||5||four||four||4.1|
The Panasonic HC-V160 is a good option for a first camera. Small, compact, shoots in Full HD. But it is better to immediately buy 1–2 replacement batteries.
Canon Legria HF R86 is a camera with a capacious battery, small, light, shoots video in Full HD, has built-in memory. Not suitable for shooting at night and in very poor lighting conditions.
JVC GZ-RX645 is a camera with a very capacious battery, 4 levels of protection against falls, moisture, dust and cold Quad-Proof. You can connect to it via Wi-Fi, there is a built-in LED backlight, it shoots video in Full HD. The best option for those who are looking for a good camera, but have a limited budget.
Sony HDR-CX405 is a smart model that itself will select the optimal shooting mode depending on external factors, there is automatic image stabilization, autofocus. A good solution if you need a video camera up to 25,000 rubles.
The Panasonic HC-V260 is a small and compact camera with a long battery life, automatic image stabilization and photo mode.
ORDRO AC5 is a digital video camera with WiFi and the ability to shoot video in 4K format. One of the best cheap amateur camcorders. There is a built-in image stabilizer, power saving mode, autofocus and face detection mode. The camera is heavy — this is worth considering if choosing a camera for a teenager.
The Sony HDR-PJ380E is a compact, lightweight mid-range camera. You can shoot video in Full HD, there are many shooting modes.