Knowing about modern photo trends is not only about being “in the know” and shooting “like everyone else”. By understanding the trends, you can transform them, adjust them to your own vision and get interesting shots. We have collected for you the trends in photography in 2022, and also figured out which retouching trends have settled down this year.
Photography Trends 2022
1. Color of the year. For 2022, the Pantone Color Institute has chosen Very Peri (lavender) as its color of the year. As planned, throughout the year this color will be often used in clothing, design, interior decor, accessories, etc.
Take advantage of this — be in the mainstream, add the color of the year to your photo series. Or maybe you want to speculate about what this color feels like for you personally?
2. Deliberate negligence in studio and fashion photography. Protruding wires, light sources in the frame, scratches from shoes on an uncleaned background in post-processing — this used to be considered a hack and a disadvantage, but now it has turned into a “chip” that deliberately deprives the photo of “glossy” and ideality.
3. Natural location. Often photographers refuse sterile and faceless studio interiors and conduct photo shoots in the most ordinary apartment rented for a day. Moreover, the spread is huge and depends on the idea: it can be a luxurious designer apartment or an apartment with a “grandmother’s renovation” for stylized shooting in the aesthetics of the 90s. Now any place can be turned into a studio — just bring light with you, and move the furniture for a better composition.
How to stylize photo shoots we told here.
4. Color. Now there is a trend towards careful study of color in the frame. Photographers look at color combinations in advance, select the model’s clothes, location and plan color correction. It can even be quite abstract, blurry pictures, but the color on them will still be bright and rich, drawing all the attention to itself.
5. Neon. Until now, in commercial portrait shootings, the trend for photo shoots with colored contrasting light is relevant, as if the model is walking among neon signs along the cramped streets of Tokyo.
Remarkably, the neon effect can be obtained both in the most budgetary studio with the help of two reflectors with color filters, and walking along the city streets in the evening. Although in the second case, constant LED light, which can shine in any RGB color, can additionally help. For example, a lightsaber.
6. Mixed light. This is a combination of a constant light source and a pulsed one. If you photograph with such light at a slow shutter speed, you can get an interesting effect: on the one hand, the model is “frozen”, as the flash froze it, but also a colored trail stretches around it, which is obtained due to the combination of constant light, slow shutter speed and the movement of the model or a photographer.
How to make mixed light and what it is, read the text.
7. Minimalism. Old-new trend in art photography. Fashion is cyclical, so now there is a new revival of this concept. Photographers try to leave a minimum of details and objects on the canvas, but tie them into something whole with the help of composition.
8. “Picture” style in portraits and fashion shoots. Social networks are flooded with photos that look like paintings of the past. Photographers try to convey color and light, the composition of portraits, stylize the image of the model under past eras. Allusions to well-known paintings are also good now.
9. The abundance of props in commercial filming. It is not uncommon for a photographer to have their own dressing room with armor, or he/she makes the props himself. Clients want unusual images “not like everyone else” and not waste time, while photographers want to stand out. That is why in 2022, photo projects are in trend in fashion, where the model comes to the finished image, collected by the photographer.
10. Pastel warm colors in women’s and children’s portraits. In these areas, brown, sepia are relevant for color correction. Moreover, if earlier the skin was sought to be saturated, to create the effect of a tan, now it is in the past.
11. Hard light in male portraits. In men’s photographs, it is still important to emphasize strength, brutality, character. That’s what hard light is for. Also, such light emphasizes the relief of the skin, wrinkles, scars, which is important for a male portrait, where all these elements are not removed during retouching, but rather tend to be emphasized.
12. Levitation in food photography. Soaring tea bags, hamburger buns, lettuce. This is achieved through editing in post-processing and shooting from tripods. Yes, this greatly increases the level of complexity of shooting — you need to not only think over the perfect composition, as before, but also take a lot of shots, which then need to be combined.
13. Scenic compositions in food photography. The second food photography trend is complex, richly detailed photographs that refer to picturesque still lifes and repeat paintings in color and composition.
14. Black and white in street photography. An eternal trend that flows from year to year. This is understandable — in street photography, the emphasis is on emotion, action, scene, and color can only distract the viewer.
15. Vertical framing. Photography is adapting to the fact that users spend most of their time on the Internet through mobile devices. Horizontal and square shots are still present, but they are not so convenient to view on the phone, post in stories, cut into short videos.
Photo processing trends
1. Film processing. Grain in the photo, which deliberately reduces the quality and makes the picture look like “antique”.
2. Naturalness in face retouching. Now photographers are abandoning the ideal “porcelain” skin, devoid of all flaws, wrinkles, and at the same time pores. Also, do not whiten your teeth and eyes to the state of a white A4 sheet.
3. Natural colors where appropriate. Natural colors are, first of all, the correct white balance, when the clouds are white, not green, and the gray asphalt does not cast purple.
Naturally, if you are photographing in a studio with color filters or near a neon sign, then the colors, on the contrary, need to be emphasized.
4. Preservation of correct anatomy and mimic wrinkles. Nasolabial folds, crow’s feet — in 2022, all this can be left. The maximum is to slightly lighten these areas, thereby making wrinkles less deep.
5. Reduced saturation to get muted pastel palettes.
6. Perfection in product and food photography. Here, on the contrary, there is a trend towards detailed retouching, the study of each pixel of the photo, so that the picture looks as “delicious, representative and effective in advertising as possible.
7. Departure from warm color correction, orange skin towards cold colors. The tan effect and orange skin trend has been replaced by a desire for more neutral, natural and calm colors.
Regardless of what photos are trending right now, remember that the main trend is the individuality of the photographer and his look. If you can offer your own, unusual vision, you should not refuse it. The audience is always drawn to what stands out from the general stream.