Brides want to be fashionable, photographers want to be in demand. Therefore, it is better for one and the other to know current trends. This will help organize a beautiful and memorable event. Today we will talk about wedding photography trends in 2022 and how to make your celebration stylish.
Newlyweds in the spotlight
Fashion image processing
What to do with antitrends
Sometimes the combination of “classic wedding” is perceived negatively. Especially the youth. Everyone has their own “portrait” of a classic marriage, which was formed thanks to the holidays of relatives and friends. This background can be very sad. And as a result, under the “classic” event, people represent something from the late 90s and early 00s:
- too fluffy dress with a lot of tulle;
- crazy hairstyles;
- shiny synthetic gloves;
- redemption at the entrance and peculiar contests;
- pigeons in a rented limousine, etc.
But this has nothing to do with a modern classic wedding. When talking about a traditional event, they mean:
- strict and concise outfits for the newlyweds and guests;
- a beautiful place for a photo shoot, registration, the wedding itself;
- “no” to unusual outfits and outrageous hairstyles, catchy makeup, non-standard venues (for example, subway or bus). “Yes” elegance and sophistication.
What about classic wedding photos? There are 4 main categories of shots:
- newlyweds gatherings;
- walking photo session;
- banquet part.
To accurately capture good shots, you can familiarize yourself with the venue of the event in advance. So you determine what set of equipment you need, what light you can take, what angles will be most beneficial.
And unbanal ideas for a wedding photo shoot can be gleaned from our blog.
Newlyweds in the spotlight
A few years ago, very large, extravagant weddings were in fashion. The unusual appearance of newlyweds (for example, a parachute jump), a photo with colored smoke, etc. was popular. It was possible to quickly shoot a large number of guests and an active program using reportage shooting. The holiday turned out to be very dynamic.
In a wedding that will take place in 2022, measuredness and the ability to emphasize the beauty of what is happening are important. The emphasis is not on the guests, but on the main characters of the event, their history, relationships, interaction with the closest ones.
The trend is to show not just a bright picture, but emotions and feelings, important details.
What is needed for this? Take more photos:
- newlyweds (a beautiful wedding photo shoot begins with preparation for the event, preparations, reading vows. It is important to film the first reaction to each other, the first kiss, the first dance);
- details that would characterize the characters. If in previous years the basis of the holiday was the wow effect and scale, today the individuality of the couple comes to the fore. Unobtrusively and stylishly, you can show hobbies, favorite things, objects, important family heirlooms;
with really important people. Today it is no longer fashionable to invite practically unknown relatives from the other side of the country, whom you meet only at weddings and funerals. This means that only important and beloved people will be captured in the photographs from the wedding;
- that convey the atmosphere. For example, you can combine shooting from a camera and from a drone. With it, you can make, for example, beautiful general plans that will fit all the guests.
Fashion trends 2022 play into the hands of the photographer. For example, dresses made of mikado, silk charmeuse and crepe are popular this year. These are discreet fabrics without cheap sheen, pleasant to the touch. A photo of the bride in such a wedding dress will look as concise, restrained and stylish as possible. The dress will not distract attention from the main character. And it is very easy to add an accessory or decor to such an image that will help reveal her interests, hobbies, etc.
This point follows smoothly from the previous one. A 2022 wedding photo is not a mindless collection of shots of different people. Not a report, but a story. It’s not the number of shots that matters, it’s the quality.
What is a chamber wedding? This is a cozy, small family holiday, which invites up to 20 guests. In this concept, young people do not fulfill the whims of hundreds of unfamiliar (and even well-known) guests. They are the rightful owners of this day. They can relax and spend their holiday comfortably the way they want.
For chamber weddings, plot is important. For example: some event and reaction to it. The removal of the cake and the reaction of the bride and / or groom, guests, etc. The difficulty lies in the fact that the plot must be realistic. You can’t tell the guests that they will now take out the cake and you need to react to it.
The photographer will have to capture emotions and reactions. To achieve beautiful and interesting fashionable wedding photos, you need to first talk with the guests. Too clamped it is better to talk a little in advance and liberate.
Before such shooting it is better:
- improve the skill of shooting portraits;
- inspect the venue to choose convenient angles;
- make a list of successful arrangements for 2–10 people;
- pick the right light.
Portrait photography: life hacks and mistakes
We have already talked about what kind of light is needed at a wedding. This cheat sheet is still relevant. But in 2022, wedding photos without additional lighting are becoming more and more popular.
- This way you can take more atmospheric pictures. For example: at dawn or at sunset, when the sun is not very intense.
- Modern professional cameras can shoot at ISO 6400 without noise at dusk. So in this case, the need for additional light is eliminated.
But there are cases when it is impractical to refuse a flash and / or constant light sources. For example, if:
- The camera does not shoot well in dim light;
- the room is very dark and requires minimal lighting;
- I want to add an accent with light with a color filter.
Also, we do not recommend abandoning reflectors altogether. Better to have it in your arsenal. With it, you can scatter too bright light, highlight the desired part of the face when shooting outdoors.
This point is inextricably linked with the previous ones. Natural light at a classic chamber wedding, where there is no place for stiffness, where the holiday is for the newlyweds, and not vice versa — all this will help to get real, “live” emotions.
Wedding photo trend 2022 — real feelings, not staged. Of course, if people have never participated in a photo shoot, they need to be prompted. And it is better for the photographer to prepare in advance the optimal set of poses that will look good in this location. But the more real emotions, laughter, tears of joy, the more touching the pictures will be. And the more delight they will cause later, when reviewing the wedding album.
Fashion image processing
- minimal face retouching. Perfect porcelain skin is no longer in fashion. Wrinkles, moles, minor flaws add charm;
- grain. Began to gain popularity in 2021. Photos look more atmospheric;
- low color saturation. Not bright, eye-catching accents, but muted, pastel colors.
What to do with antitrends
Not all weddings are fashionable, chamber, cozy and thought out from and to together with the organizer. Often, young people become hostages of the opinions and influence of relatives who have their own taste and outlook on things.
What to do if young people want fashion photos from the wedding, but the format of the event does not quite match what they want?
- Assess the extent of the tragedy. View the program of the event, evaluate the place, image, restaurant, etc.
- Collect with the newlyweds references on the fashion trends of the current year.
- Determine in which available locations you can take such pictures.
- Make part of the standard frames (to please parents and relatives). And take the maximum possible photos of those that young people want.
If the format of the event does not fit into the modern one at all, you can offer an additional photo shoot. For example, the next day and only for the newlyweds.
We hope that our tips will help you take beautiful wedding photos of the bride and groom, defeat anti-trends and implement many cool photo ideas in 2022.