VK clips are a relatively new section of the social network familiar to everyone, which is worth paying attention to in 2022. Today, the total volume of video views exceeds two and a half billion per day. In fact, the clips are an analogue of TikTok and Reels in the Impossiblegram. Read about what, how and what to shoot VK clips in this material.
What are VK clips, why shoot them
What to shoot in VK clips so that the video gains views
How and what to shoot videos for VK clips
How to add a VK clip
How to get into the recommendations of VK clips
Many social networks today rely on video content. VK is no exception in this regard. He has been actively promoting clips for the last year, and very successfully. If you look at the numbers, in March, about a billion people watched clips every day, today there are two and a half times more. This is a huge audience, at least for this reason it is worth learning how to shoot videos.
Clips are short vertical videos. The allowed length is from 10 seconds to 1 minute if you work through the VK application, and up to 3 minutes if through the special VK Clips application. The option is available for both personal pages and communities.
By default, the quality of the video that the application takes and with which the camera built into it will shoot is 60 FPS and Full HD resolution.
Before moving on to the practical sections, a few words about what to shoot for clips. With practice, there will be no big problems — the application is quite intuitive and easy to understand. Another question is what exactly to shoot so that the video becomes viral and popular, gets into the recommendations and gains millions of views.
In order for the video to become popular and viral, it is important to choose a clip format that will be both popular and suitable for you at the same time. For example, videos with funny pet tricks are very popular among clips, but if you plan to shoot clips for your work page where you sell hand-knitted sweaters, then this information will not help you. Especially if you don’t have pets.
What videos are popular in VK clips:
- time lapses and slow motion video;
- video memes (funny videos from the series “me in the morning, me in the evening”, “there are only two types of people / friends / clients / florists”, “typical me / my husband / cat” and so on). Memes can be very different depending on the audience you will be working with;
- funny pets;
- errors: a video where a person was carrying a handful of boxes and accidentally dropped them will definitely be reviewed;
- instructions on how to do something with your own hands;
- backstage (for photographers, for example, the format “this is how the location looks like, and this is how the pictures from it” is suitable);
- skits with interaction between two people;
- creation processes: drawing, photo retouching;
- meditative videos (the work of the milk packaging conveyor, drawing geometric patterns with a stick on the sand, etc.);
Timelapse: how to shoot and assemble
It doesn’t have to be very direct. Mix several ideas, incarnations.
If, for example, you sell knitted sweaters, it is not necessary to knit them in every video or show them finished. Such monotony can rather repel. But if you not only knit, but also breed cacti, you can knit a sweater for each cactus and record a video on how you dress them. Such content is more likely to go viral.
Remember that clips are a place where people come to have fun: relax, downcast, laugh. Most likely, a serious video on how to fill out tax returns correctly, even if you give super-useful information there, will not work. And here is a video about how you wash the tile with some home remedy, and it starts to shine — it will go with a bang.
These two questions are closely intertwined. First and most important: VK clips only prefer vertical videos. This means that you can, in principle, add horizontal videos, but such videos are less popular with the algorithm that makes recommendations for users. Less people will see such content — VK does not hide this.
The second feature of the clips: The application interface allows you to edit videos directly inside the application. That is, you can safely shoot 5–10 fragments, and then combine them directly in VK, without additional editing programs. This is convenient in the sense that clips are situational fast-consumption content. Spending a week on complex shooting and post-production is not very cost-effective here. Therefore, very often filmed on a smartphone.
Best of all, of course, if you use a phone with a good camera. For example, Huawei P40 Pro or iPhone 12 Pro Max. A selection of the best camera phones can be viewed here. There are interesting models in different price categories.
And the third feature — very often the authors of the clips shoot themselves. For these reasons, VK clips are often shot on a smartphone. Therefore, it is often important that the front camera is good. For example, Xiaomi 11T Pro and OnePlus 10 Pro. More information about smartphones with a good front camera can be found here.
Of course, you can shoot clips on camera and edit them in a familiar editor. But the problem is, most cameras are designed for shooting horizontal video. This gives rise to several difficulties with working with vertical. Firstly, most DSLRs and mirrorless cameras do not record information about the position of the camera in the metadata, they have all the video horizontal by default. This can cause some difficulties during editing: each fragment of the video will have to be turned over. Only a few models of modern mirrorless cameras record the position of the camera in the metadata. For example, Panasonic Lumix GH 5 II.
In addition, not all cameras have a built-in stabilizer, which is necessary for shooting without a tripod. And when working with a steadicam, it is not always possible to balance it for shooting vertical video. Therefore, it is better to choose the option with a built-in stabilizer. For example, Sony A7S III or Fujifilm X‑T4.
Although in video clips it is primarily what happens in the frame, and not how it is filmed, still try to do it with high quality. Do not shoot against the light, if it is dark, use LED lights, turn on the stabilizer. If you shoot a lot and technical quality is important to you (for example, if you are a photographer, it would be strange to post frankly low-quality clips on your page), you can purchase an external stabilizer for your phone. If you are shooting yourself, you should choose a good tripod with a smartphone mount. Or it could be a selfie stick or a monopod.
Remember that clips allow you to edit video directly on your phone, so you can safely shoot separate takes — then glue them together.
An important thing to keep in mind when shooting videos is three second rule. VK clips are a small genre, you should not waste time on preambles, intros and credits slowly floating on a black background, but immediately start with the most interesting. You have three seconds to engage the viewer before they scroll through the video. So even during the shooting you need to think about where you will start your video.
One of the main schemes of a successful video for clips is this: an intriguing beginning and an unexpected denouement. For example, you can work on contrast:
If you shoot yourself, check out this text about shooting self-portraits. Many techniques are applicable when shooting video.
You can add a clip to a personal page or community from a computer or laptop, or from a smartphone.
After that, the interface of the camera built into VK for shooting clips will appear. It has a lot of possibilities:
The second icon (2) is responsible for enabling and disabling gesture control. This function is useful for those who shoot themselves. You can start and stop the video by showing the camera two fingers.
Then you can set a timer (3) so that the camera automatically stops recording video after a while. This is convenient if you are, for example, filming yourself doing a somersault or other trick. Such a video will obviously not take a whole minute, you can set a timer for 20 seconds, so that later you can trim the video less. You can also set a delayed start in this menu item.
The fourth icon (4) opens the video speed settings menu. The speed can be changed from 0.3 (slowing down by three times), to 3 (acceleration by three times).
In the fifth paragraph (5), you can immediately select music from the built-in library of sounds for your clip. Music can be added later when editing the video. The sixth item (6) allows you to add a ready-made, pre-recorded video by selecting it from the gallery, the seventh (7) turns on the flashlight, the eighth (8) changes the main camera to the front camera and back. The ninth one (9) brings up the mask selection menu (10).
After you add a video from the gallery or shoot it, the clip editing menu will open. First, the editor will offer to trim your video, if necessary.
After you trim the video, you will be taken to the next editing menu (in the illustration above on the right). Pay attention to the icon with a “+” sign — it is present in both menus. It allows you to add another video to the future clip.
In the second menu on the video, you can add a freehand drawing (1), sticker (2), text (3), one of the products of your community or personal page (4), music (5). Also here you can mute or completely remove the sound of your original video if you do not like it.
Important things to keep in mind when editing clips:
- Remember the three-second rule and start with the essentials. If you can’t start with the most spectacular and interesting, add text like “wait for it”, “watch to the end” on the video to intrigue the viewer;
- Use captions: if a person says something in the frame, it is better to duplicate it with text. Some users watch such content without sound. It is easier for them to scroll through your video than to turn on the sound;
- Geotags and marks of other users are important, they should be added, this will help to gain additional coverage;
- Trending music also helps to gain views — sometimes users are looking for clips that were made to a certain song.
After the clip is fully assembled and designed, click the “Next” button and you will be taken to the last menu for creating a clip. Here you need to create a description for it.
Next, in the “Author” column, you can choose where the clip will be published: on your personal page or in one of the groups that you administer. Here you can also choose whether to publish the clip on the wall, and whether to allow duets.
A duet is when another user can take your clip or part of it, add something to it and do something of their own. Other users, when watching such a duet video, will see a link to the original.
Recommendations are the main free feature for promoting clips. 97% of short video views come from recommendations, so it makes sense to try to get into them.
The algorithms that make up the recommendations work like this: they monitor the behavior of each user (whether he watched it, whether he began to review it, whether he liked it, whether he reposted it) and then offer him content similar to the one with which there were interactions. In addition, the algorithms find other people with similar interests and show videos to them.
Therefore, it is important to receive a response from the viewer: likes, comments, repeated views. The more of this there is, the more likely it is that the video will be viewed by more people.
Be sure to post your clips on the wall. This will help to get the first reactions among your already loyal friends and followers. Then the video will be more likely to get into the recommendations;
Here are some tips to help you get recommended:
- do not use watermarks in the video. If you use a ready-made video from another social network, get rid of the watermark. Watermark — a direct way to fly out of the recommendations;
- video viewing is very important — it is better to make videos shorter, but more interesting. The same applies to repeat views. Think about what content your audience will want to watch over and over again;
- turn to universal topics. Almost all people are interested in family and friendships, children, animals, money;
- capture trends. In the clips section, there is a “trends” tab. There, the most popular videos of recent times are laid out by topic. For example, now (relevant for October 2022) there are videos on the topic “teacher of the year” among the trending ones. There are all sorts of funny videos about the hard life of teachers. And “sticky” — they collect videos about how people mow their lawns, squeeze cream on cupcakes, create drawings, conduct simple physical experiments, mix paint. You can go in there and not go out if you like to watch how something happens. A living illustration that you can look at how others work forever;
- post content regularly. When your subscribers get used to the clips, they will be more willing to respond to them.